Thursday, January 06, 2005

passenger


passenger
Originally uploaded by Silkchord.
Unexpected Passenger

I got a new car recently. Its very nice and a little on the large size (compared to my late lamented Ruby). A stationwagon. Very handy for carrying things. Cement, pot plants, tiki torches and camping chairs. Its also has enough room to carry 3 large garbage bags full of unwanted clothing up to the charity bins.

On Monday this was just what I was going to use it for. My partner was giving me a hand and had taken out two of the bags and his keys and already had the back open when I hit the street.

"Get some bug killer or a jar. And get some gloves as well; and a camera. We''ve got a passenger."

I promptly put the bag down and followed instructions. When Chemical Alex asks for bug killer I know he's found something nasty/dangerous.

I found some bug killer (well flea zapper) and the gloves and my camera. He wasn't happy with the flea zapper so he left me alone with the passenger and my camera. He went inside to get a jar.

He came out with a plastic air tight 'cookie' jar and promptly told me "not to touch the passenger." As if I would. A little deft handling of the cookie jar and lid and our passenger was sealed in his new carry box.

The passenger was very lucky he decided to hitch a ride in my car. After the bags were dropped off, the new cement and chairs and tiki torches were purchased and my partner and I re attired in our cycling gear, the passenger got a ride he wasn't expecting. We took him to the nearest stand of bush that we could find and released him into the wild.

Here is a picture of our passenger. He's been running across my windscreen (on the outside) for a couple of weeks. He is a Huntsman spider and though rarely lethal would make an adult quite sick.

1 comment:

Mez said...

I always think of spiders as female. Though I suppose that sounds a bit strange with Huntsmen. Perhaps she could be named Diana or Artemis :)